Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Desires of the Heart

Related image
I don't know about you guys, but when the new year roles around I start reflecting on the desires of my heart. You may be asking what this means. Well, what does your heart want the most? Sometimes these things are tangible but other times these things help develop our character instead. Most of the time we want a little of both. One of the things that is the most important to me is teaching all of you. Therefore, one of the desires of my heart is to be a more focused teacher. Sometimes things that happen out of school can overwhelm me, just like they do to all of you. This sometimes keeps me from being my best as a teacher, so I want to be more focused so that I can pay all of my attention on creating fun, challenging, and rewarding lessons for all of you. I also want to be focused so I can be aware of how my students are doing: their strengths, weaknesses, hobbies, interests, and the desires of their hearts. However, a tangible thing that I would like is more money to go on more adventures. See, Miss. Galante loves to do thrilling things, see new places, and experience new things. One of the things I have been wanting to try most recently is riding in a hot air balloon. These are two examples of my desires, what are some of yours? I'd love to hear about them. 

Vocabulary
reflecting- Thinking deeply and applying it to yourself. 
desires- Something that you want for yourself very badly. 
tangible- Something that can be seen and touched. 
character- Who you are as a person, how people think of you. 
focused- Being able to pay close attention. 
overwhelm- Feeling great emotion. 
adventures- Things you do that are exciting, thrilling, and out of the norm. 
thrilling- A sudden excitement that makes you feel both scared and happy.  
hot air balloon- A giant balloon that floats using hot air, and carries people in a basket. 
Image result for hot air balloons with scenic views

Vocabulary Practice
Directions- Fill in the sentence with the correct vocabulary word. 

1. When I looked into the sky, I saw a __________________ flying over me! 

2. Some of my many _______________ has been surfing at the beach, swimming at the base of a waterfall, and horse back riding through the woods. 

3. My brother thought I lied about baking cookies, but when he saw them sitting on the table he knew they were _____________. 

4. Going down the drop of the roller-coaster was a _____________ experience. 

5. Before telling my mother about breaking her favorite vase I was _____________ on how much trouble I would be in. 

6. I have wanted a puppy my whole life, it is one of my greatest ______________. 

7. Something about Miss. Galante's _____________ is that she is very patient. 

8. I must stay ____________ when taking a test. 

9. Please do not _______________ me with too much homework over winter break.

Grammar Point: Proper Nouns
Proper nouns are nouns that have names. Some examples of these would be:

  • Names of people or pets: Sophia, Michael, Fluffy, or Sir. Meow.
  • Names of specific places: Mohonk Mountain, Six Flags Great Adventure, The Unites States of America, H & M, Regal Cinemas, or Shop Rite. 
  • Brand Names: Nike, Marc Jacobs, Apple Iphone, Papermate, or Big Red Apples. 
  • Names of dates: January, Saturday, or Easter. 
Grammar Practice
Directions- Circle the proper nouns in the sentences. 

1. My brother Nick's favorite sneaker is Nike SB, but they don't sell them in stores like Payless. 

2. On Saturday Nicole and I are going to Minnewaska State Park, it's going to be cold so I will wear my North Face jacket. 

3. My favorite holiday is Easter. Every year my mom buys me a Godiva chocolate rabbit and we go to the Harbor church. 

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting entry, Justine! I like that you contemplate your heart's desire as a way of starting the new year. Your vocabulary list and exercises are excellent. I also like the grammar point. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading all of the blog post you have made, this seems like an appropriate opener. I also like you activities that go along with this blog post I think they are both engaging and personal. Both the blog post and activities shed a light on your life and personal wants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for noticing, Marcos. Those were my goals.

      Delete